Monday 24 October 2016, 22 Tishrei 5777
JC Football
Caro's Column
Junior Football
Wingate & Finchley
London Lions
Maccabi Masters
Brady Maccabi
Maccabiah Games
FC Team
Pinner JFC
Hendon Hawks FC


Keyword to search


How to search?


Hurray Henry inspires Neasden C
By Gary Dymant
JC MSFL Division 2: NW Neasden C 7 FC Heath 1

If last week was a display of wasteful finishing, this week was a lesson in clinical finishing.

Neasden started the game brightly and took the lead about 10 minutes in when Dymant sprayed a cross field pass into space on the right for Olly Henry. The new Neasden man seized the opportunity in behind the full back and hammered a low cross into the box where Mark Simons was on hand to bundle home at the second attempt. The perfect start for Neasden.

FC Heath had some nice interchange in their play and at times had Neasden on their heals as the probed in behind the full backs without ever delivering a clinical final ball.

They came close to levelling when they got in behind, but Neasden had just about got the trap right as the goal was ruled out for offside.

That was to prove to be crucial as moments later Neasden were two up as Simons and Bloom exchanged passes up front resulting in Bloom centering for Simons to finish again. 2-0 and it was visibly evident that FC Heath let their shoulders drop after a tough start to the season and once again looking at being on the wrong end of a result after just 25 minutes.

The third came when Neasden won the ball in midfield as Heath pressed dangerously. The ball broke to Kaye on the left who played a glorious pass that split the Heath centre back and full back for Henry to sprint onto and through on goal. With the keeper advancing, the young Henry showed the presence of mind and natural raw ability to execute an inch perfect lob that dropped inside the near post to kill the game.

Neasden added insult to injury on the stroke of half time as a Kaye corner swung in deep to the far post was met by what can only be described as a towering header from captain Hilton. Sadly for Joel, Stevie Bloom had also risen just a yard in front of him and the ball cannoned into the net of his head. Ever the striker, there was no way Bloomy was letting his captain claim that one...though he was quite happy to give him the accolades!

4-0 at half time and Neasden were cruising.

They started the second half as they ended the first and within the first 10 minutes Neasden were 5 up. Henry broke down the right with his persistent threat and crossed low. Mark Simons sold the defender with a lovely dummy leaving Bloom free in the middle of the box to slot home what he made to look a very easy finish.

Another quick Neasden break saw Bloom play in Henry who having the sort of game he was, was never going to miss as he placed the ball coolly into the bottom corner.

Josh Larn grabbed a consolation for Heath with a well struck free kick before Mark Harris finished off the route one on one with the keeper and rolling it neatly past him and into the net for his first goal for Neasden.

The result was harsh on Heath who played some good football at times but they will rue having a deadly finisher up front to convert some of their chances. Were it not for the fact that I am going choose someone who was outstanding today for man of the match, it would have been Heath centre back Ollie Joseph. He was magnificent today and kept some respectability to the scoreline, particularly at the end when he formed a one man defence against the continued onslaught as Neasden broke through time and again.

However, the man of the match goes to Olly Henry who turned in a brilliant performance on the right with his dangerous runs, cool finishing and non stop energy and work rate. Terrific performance.

Send to a friend Print Article Go Back